Disclaimer!

Disclaimer
Beverley has prepared the content of Bev's World irresponsibly and carelessly. She therefore disclaims all warranties, express or implied, as to the accuracy, originality or completeness of the drivel presented on this blog or on other linked websites or on any subsequent links. She vehemently denies that the information may be relied upon for any reason. Beverley shall not be liable for inflicting laughter, shame, disgust, torrents of tears and the eventual desiccation or crashing boredom on readers.

Find me on facebook. https://www.facebook.com/BeHappyOwls or search for Be Happy Owls

Saturday 7 April 2018

All about the good food - can't beat a good chinese fakeaway


7th April 2018
Don’t expect to see a change if you don’t make one.
Well I couldn’t wait to eat my dinner at dinner time yesterday, life’s too short for waiting, so I had it for brunch and it was delicious, my sister outdid herself there, here’s the recipe, use whatever veggies you like, we’re going to add water chestnuts next time and give it some crunch, I had mine with some rice, but I would happily eat it without anything else, it would make a super low point meal and like me you can eat it whatever time of the day you want to :)

Almost Zero Better than a takeaway Chinese chicken and veg!
Total 6sp – servings = depends how hungry you are!

3 Chicken Breasts, cut into cubes  
2 sliced onions
2 sliced peppers  
250g sliced mushrooms
Plus a couple of handful of veggies of choice – Baby corn, broccoli, water chestnuts, sugar snap peas

4 tbsp soy sauce (2sp)
2 tbsp oyster sauce (2sp)
2 tbsp Chinese rice vinegar  
1 tsp crushed garlic or use frozen or paste
1/2 tsp diced ginger or use frozen or paste
Ground black pepper
250ml stock using 1 beef oxo thickened with 1 tablespoon of cornflour (2SP)

Heat up a large frying pan, mist with spraylight and add the onions, chicken, garlic and ginger and cook until they start to soften, then add the other veggies and cook till they’re almost how you like your veg, then add the soy sauce, oyster sauce, rice vinegar and a bit of black pepper. 

Add stock and stir whilst simmering on high until the sauce thickens, then serve once everything’s cooked.  Enjoy

You can eat it on its own or have with noodles, rice or chips for extra points.




This was mine and I’m sure you’ll agree you’d fool anyone that this was the real deal from the takeaway and yet so much healthier for you, wouldn’t take you long to knock together either.

We had fish and chips for Dinner, just the two meals yesterday as they were big ones, the fish on this plate was 11sp, so when you’re trying to point your fish at the chip shop, there’s a comparison for you, I’d say it was about the same size as our chippy’s mini fish but the batter was much thinner, so the 23SP for cod in batter on the app is about right and I’d not be putting much less for a mini one, personally I wouldn’t buy a mini one.

Right keeping it all about the food this morning because not much has happened in my world in the last 24 hours, oh yeah apart from me trying to teach Angie how to crochet yesterday morning, I’m not sure I helped or hindered her progress but I would seriously suggest anyone who does want to learn uses youtube and stays patient https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RlAUgKqmj4&feature=youtu.be that was the video I used and I kept playing and pausing it.

I even typed up the instructions to remind me if they help anyone, I’ll past them below.  Right I’m off to start my day.  A few hours with wonderful people, followed by a massage, a dog walk and then relax – my sisters cooked for me again too, we’ll share that recipe tomorrow.  Whatever you have planned, enjoy.


Oh almost forgot, the chicken soup my sister made, that’s going to be taken to my meeting this morning instead of my usual tea and toast!

Cream of chicken and leek soup.

Chop up leftover chicken from the Sunday roast and add to a pan. Add chopped up leeks to the pan with half a pint of strong chicken stock I use kallo stock cubes because I like them and I use 2 sometimes 3. Bring to a boil then simmer for 5 minutes. Then I mix 1 tablespoon of cornflour into half a pint of milk and add to the pan. Simmer until it thickens and the leeks are cooked season to taste. If it’s too thick add a little more milk. If you don’t like leeks you can use mushrooms or just have chicken.



Granny squares

Start with a slip knot
Chain 5
Go into bottom chain and yarn over, pull through both stitch
Chain 3
Do first treble crochet, yarn over, put through hole in middle, yarn over, pull through (3 loops on hook) yarn over, pull through 2 loops, yarn over pull through other 2. (repeat)
The chained 3 will count as a treble as well

That’s the first section.  Now to create the corner section – chain 2.

Do 3 more treble crochets. Chain 2.
Repeat 3 more treble crochets. Chain 2.
Repeat 3 more treble crochets. Chain 2.
Join to top of chain 3, find chain 3, insert hook into top of chain 3, (slip stitch) yarn over, pull through and pull through loop on hook.  That’s the first round of granny square.

To start 2nd round – chain 3. 
Do 3 trebles in corner space created on previous round.
Create corner by chaining 2
Repeat 3 trebles into same space

Move over to next corner, yarn over, insert straight into that corner and do 3 trebles.
Create corner by chaining 2
Repeat 3 trebles into same space

Move over to next corner, yarn over, insert straight into that corner and do 3 trebles.
Create corner by chaining 2
Repeat 3 trebles into same space

Move over to next corner, yarn over, insert straight into that corner and do 3 trebles.
Create corner by chaining 2
Repeat 2 trebles into same space
Do a slip not into the top of chain 3 that you did at the beginning of round 2.

Round 3
Chain 3
Work straight into the chain space at the base of your hook at the previous round, do 2 trebles.

Work into the corner space
Do 3 trebles, chain 2, 3 trebles.

Work into next space with 3 trebles.

Work into the next corner space
Do 3 trebles, chain 2, 3 trebles.

You can keep doing as many rounds as you want.

No comments: