Disclaimer!

Disclaimer
Beverley has prepared the content of Bev's World irresponsibly and carelessly. She therefore disclaims all warranties, express or implied, as to the accuracy, originality or completeness of the drivel presented on this blog or on other linked websites or on any subsequent links. She vehemently denies that the information may be relied upon for any reason. Beverley shall not be liable for inflicting laughter, shame, disgust, torrents of tears and the eventual desiccation or crashing boredom on readers.

Find me on facebook. https://www.facebook.com/BeHappyOwls or search for Be Happy Owls

Saturday 9 September 2017

Back to it...



9th September 2017
When people ask, "what do you do?" reply: "whatever it takes"


Yay, it’s the weekend and I’m ready for it, just a little matter of my Saturday morning meeting first and to be fair, I consider that part of my weekend.   Had a late night last night, as had a late visit from my bestie, she’d been doing a Scentsy party and stayed at mine as I was closer than her own bed.  Alfie’s milling around this morning so I’m hoping he isn’t gonna wake her up to early.

My ‘diet’ was pretty rubbish yesterday, I’ve finished the wraps though and won’t be buying anymore, I also ate trifle – what the actual…. Must say it was good, I realised I’m quite partial to cold custard, need to stop eating like that now and get back on track, don’t want to undo all the good I’ve done so far.

I’m hoping to get a massage today, it’s been about 6 weeks, so fingers x’d she doesn’t need to cancel again because I won’t be able to go next week as it’s my area meeting.  Having my hair cut this afternoon too, then I plan on not doing a lot of anything for the rest of the day, much needed relaxation is on the cards.

I think we’ll have chicken sausages for dinner today, had me a delivery from Penn Road butchers, so I’m sorted for food for the weekend, I bought braising steak too so may do that recipe from yesterday or a slow cooker stew, the weather certainly has turned cool enough. 

This recipe I found at http://www.manilaspoon.com/2014/10/slow-cooker-coconut-curry-beef-stew.html looks tasty. It could be tweaked, the butter is 11sp, the oil 9sp, but the rest isn’t so bad.
Slow Cooker Coconut Curry Beef Stew
Ingredients
2 Tablespoons Butter
2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
2 lbs Boneless Beef Chuck cut into 2-inch chunks
2 medium Onions, chopped
1 large sweet potato, sliced into 1 1/2 inch chunks
3 medium carrots, sliced 1 1/2 inch chunks
1 14 oz can coconut Milk
1 1/2 Tablespoons Curry Powder
1 teaspoon ground Ginger
1 teaspoon ground Coriander
1/2 teaspoon Garlic powder
1 Tablespoon Sugar, plus more if needed
1 1/2 Tablespoon Fish Sauce or to taste
Salt and pepper, to taste

Procedure

Liberally season the beef cubes with salt and pepper.

Melt the butter and oil using medium-high heat (but not smoking hot) in a large and heavy bottomed pan. Brown the cubed beef in batches. Place the meat in a large platter as you cook.

Place the onion slices on the slow cooker and top with the browned beef. Add the sweet potatoes and carrots.

In a bowl, whisk together the coconut milk, curry powder, spices, sugar, fish sauce and a little salt and pepper. Pour over beef and vegetables.

Cook on low for at least 8-10 hours or about 5-6 hours on high. Length of time varies depending on your crock pot. Adjust seasoning if necessary adding a little more sugar to balance the flavours and some salt and pepper, to taste.

Serve with freshly cooked Jasmine rice!

I might stick with good old fashioned stew;

Serves 3, No Count or 8sp per serving
420g Lean Diced Casserole Beef (7sp)
600g of Potatoes, Diced (12sp)
5 or 6 Carrots, Sliced
1 large Onion, Sliced
6 Beef Oxo stock cubes (1sp)
2 tsp Olive Oil (2sp)

Spray Olive Oil in a large pan and heat.
Add the beef and cook on high to seal it.
Drain any fat and add the onion and cook for a couple of minutes.
Add the carrots and potatoes and add enough hot water to cover.
Add the oxo cubes and stir.   Bring to the boil and then simmer for about 3-4 hours until the liquid reduces and it goes really thick – you know when it’s ready as you can stand a spoon in it!  Delicious the next day. Serve.

Mmm yeah, I need to go to the shop to get the other ingredients but otherwise yep that’s being cooked.

Got a lot to do tomorrow, the utility room needs completely emptying ready for the workmen Monday, plus all my stock needs moving out of the way too.  I keep telling myself it’ll be worth it in the end!

Right I’m off to get ready for work, here’s to getting on track!

No comments: