Disclaimer!

Disclaimer
Beverley has prepared the content of Bev's World irresponsibly and carelessly. She therefore disclaims all warranties, express or implied, as to the accuracy, originality or completeness of the drivel presented on this blog or on other linked websites or on any subsequent links. She vehemently denies that the information may be relied upon for any reason. Beverley shall not be liable for inflicting laughter, shame, disgust, torrents of tears and the eventual desiccation or crashing boredom on readers.

Find me on facebook. https://www.facebook.com/BeHappyOwls or search for Be Happy Owls

Saturday 3 June 2017

I'm up for a good day - are you?


3rd June 2017

It isn't the mountains ahead to climb that wear you out; it's the pebble in your shoe.



Oops forgot to set my alarm clock, good job I woke up naturally, if a little later than usual, I've got enough time not to rush.  Hoping it's not going to rain today as it's Bonnie's charity event, she's hoping to raise lots and lots of money for Cancer Research, so if you're free this morning, it starts at 10.30 runs till 1pm, a few hours for people to get together, eat a cake, try their luck at tombola or the raffle, treat themselves to a bit of something nice whilst helping to raise lots of money.  I'll be there with my Weight Watcher stand, my bestie will be there with her Scentsy stand, she's already sold me my pay day treat, they've bought this one out, how cool is he;




 He's going to look so cool in my kitchen, he'll match my lovely new blinds and because he has a lid, I'm less likely to knock him and spill the wax whilst I'm being all creative in there with my cooking.


Then I'm thinking of having him for the bathroom,
he'll look good, mom likes to talk to her teddies (who doesn't - I know I talk to mine), she can chat to quack as well whilst she does her morning business, it might distract her from the pain she wakes up in! 



No I'm not thinking I'm having it, you can't take it with ya, if it's going to make my mom smile at least once, it's a bargain, plus it'll smell lush too.  We'll all be quackers in our house - get it!

 Now to decide which scent pak to have in him, luckily they can be changed as often as you want.

 Anyway FOOD!  I had the best tea last night, highly recommend this;




9sp in half the pack, I've never had Katsu chicken before but I will definitely be having it again, I'm going to look for a recipe to make my own too.  According to the internet Katsu is a Japanese term and usually refers to a deep-fried chicken or pork cutlet, this curry is milder than most and is usually served with rice.  Now I wasn't fussed about the 'crusty' sprinkle bit to be honest (that'd save a point missing that off) but I loved the sauce, it was right up my street and I have to say chicken thighs well they just blow chicken breasts out the water, they are far superior, I think I'm going to go back to using them or legs for recipes like this, it makes so much difference, hence worth the Smart Points difference.



Here's one recipe I've just found on the internet http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/food-and-drink/recipes/chicken-katsu-curry-1919371.html



Chicken Katsu Curry

Serves 4 (21sp a serving!)



100g flour, seasoned with lots of salt and pepper (10sp)
1 free-range egg, beaten lightly (2sp)
200g Japanese panko breadcrumbs (21sp)
4 boneless chicken breasts (6sp)
100ml groundnut or vegetable oil (29sp)
steamed rice and salad to serve

For the curry sauce (16sp)

1 tablespoon groundnut or vegetable oil (4sp)
1 onion, peeled and chopped
5 whole garlic cloves, peeled
2 carrots, peeled and chopped
2 tablespoons plain flour (6sp)
1 tablespoon medium curry powder (1sp)
600ml chicken stock
2 teaspoons honey (5sp)
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 bay leaf
half a teaspoon garam masala



Anyone who is into Japanese food knows that katsu curry is wickedly wonderful. What makes it stand out from other curries is that the meat is breaded and fried before having a luxurious silky curry sauce slathered all over it.



To make the sauce, heat the oil in a small pan. Add the onion and garlic and sauté for 2 minutes, then throw in the carrots and sweat slowly for 10 minutes with the lid on, giving the odd stir, until softened and starting to caramelise. Stir in the flour and curry powder and cook for a minute. Slowly pour in the stock until combined (do this gradually to avoid getting lumps). Add the honey, soy sauce and bay leaf and bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes, so the sauce thickens but is still of pouring consistency. Add the garam masala, then pass the sauce through a sieve (unless you prefer a chunky sauce).

Now prepare the chicken. Lay the seasoned flour, egg and breadcrumbs on separate plates. Coat the chicken in the flour, then dip into the egg and finally into the breadcrumbs.

Heat the oil in a frying pan and fry the breaded chicken breasts for 5 minutes on each side, or until golden and cooked through. Remove from the pan with a slotted spoon and leave to drain on kitchen paper. Slice the chicken diagonally and serve with the sauce drizzled over, steamed rice and salad.

From 'Gizzi's Magic Kitchen' by Gizzi Erskine (Virgin Books, £20). Picture by David Loftus

---



This recipe could massively be tweaked and points lowered, I wouldn't bother with the breadcrumbs at all, for me they weren't what made the dish, I would just have a go at making the sauce and add cooked chicken, I could save 3sp by using sweet freedom or agave syrup instead of honey too, I might be tempted to have thigh, leave the skin on for a few extra points, but yeah a healthier, equally as tasty version could be made and that's what makes Weight Watchers wonderfully wicked, because it's taught me to do that.   Or I could just stick with buying the ready made version from Sainsbury's for £4 at 9sp per portion...



Anyway I have a busy morning, this afternoon catching up with both my besties (yay) then a lovely weekend ahead of spending time with the single most important lady on this planet, whatever you have planned, take care of you, enjoy it and let's remember we're trying to lose a little each week.


No comments: