Disclaimer!

Disclaimer
Beverley has prepared the content of Bev's World irresponsibly and carelessly. She therefore disclaims all warranties, express or implied, as to the accuracy, originality or completeness of the drivel presented on this blog or on other linked websites or on any subsequent links. She vehemently denies that the information may be relied upon for any reason. Beverley shall not be liable for inflicting laughter, shame, disgust, torrents of tears and the eventual desiccation or crashing boredom on readers.

Find me on facebook. https://www.facebook.com/BeHappyOwls or search for Be Happy Owls

Saturday 22 April 2017

How much attention do you pay your food?

22nd April 2017


Believe in yourself and you will be unstoppable. 



Awake this morning since 2am, not tired though, but I think I may be a little later!  All go in my house today, once I get back from my meeting I've got the man coming to do my bedroom furniture, fitted wardrobes and cupboard for under the window for Alfie, he will be pleased to be able to get back up there, he's missed it so much, he walks in my room, walks all round my bed and leaves in disgust.  I think as he's going to be doing that, I shall use the afternoon to clean and tidy, start in kitchen, work my way up.  My bathrooms nearly finished, he's also bringing me a couple of little cupboards he's made me to fit in the spaces I have so that all my toiletries can be put out of sight, new shower curtain and mats purchased and it's all looking pretty good.  Can't believe how long we've left it between decorating but the other rooms will have to wait a little longer, one thing at a time.

This week in meetings we've been talking about eating mindfully, it's amazing how many things I've not finished because when I'm actually stopping to taste them, they're not all that, it was pizza yesterday, it was a bit sweet, so I left some.

If you've never done the eating mindful exercise, have a go, here's two ways;
Get hold of a bunch of grapes.  They can be white or red, whatever you like.  It need only be a small bunch...  you'll only need one, or maybe two.  Give yourself about 5 minutes to sit at the table in peace and quiet (if you have kids - get them to do it too!).  Put ONE grape on a plate have a look at it, feel it, smell it and then pop it in your mouth and just hold it there for a bit with your eyes closed...  when you are ready start to eat it very, very slowly and see how long you can take over it.  

Or if you want to be a little more into it; 

Mindfulness and the Art of Chocolate Eating!
This should take around 3-4 minutes.

You will a small bar of chocolate.

Read each instruction one at a time before moving on to the next stage, be open minded, there are no rights or wrongs, just your experience.

Consider the wrapped chocolate -

Does the wrapper make a sound?
What colour is it?
 What does it say?
Where did it come from?

Open the chocolate, slowly -

Do you feel a sense of anticipation, or an urge to immediately put the chocolate in your mouth?
What physical sensations do you have?
What emotions are you feeling?

 Just note them.

Look at the chocolate - consider its texture, colour, weight…

Smell the chocolate - does the smell trigger any other senses?

Where do you feel your sense of smell?

Place the chocolate in your mouth but DO NOT EAT!

How does it feel as it melts?

Where in your mouth can you taste it?

What is the consistency?

What is happening with your mouth, teeth, tongue, lips as it melts?

Move the chocolate around your mouth

Does the area of taste change?

Does the taste itself change?

What is happening to the chocolate?

How do you feel?

Swallow the chocolate, focusing on the sensation.

Is there a lingering taste?

How do you feel physically and emotionally?
Take a little while to consider the experience.
How was this different from your general chocolate-eating experiences?

More intense? Frustrating? More pleasurable?

Were you more aware of your emotions during the exercise?

Would this change your future experience of eating chocolate?

Why?

Honestly have a go, it's an interesting exercise to get you thinking about your enjoyment of food.  How many of us just eat!  We think about food all the time except when we're eating it, then we're just shoving it in!

Right I'm off, 4.18am and I'm gonna play me a game of Candy Crush I think as I've got plenty of time to get ready.

Here's to an awesome weekend BeYOUtiful.

No comments: