Disclaimer!

Disclaimer
Beverley has prepared the content of Bev's World irresponsibly and carelessly. She therefore disclaims all warranties, express or implied, as to the accuracy, originality or completeness of the drivel presented on this blog or on other linked websites or on any subsequent links. She vehemently denies that the information may be relied upon for any reason. Beverley shall not be liable for inflicting laughter, shame, disgust, torrents of tears and the eventual desiccation or crashing boredom on readers.

Find me on facebook. https://www.facebook.com/BeHappyOwls or search for Be Happy Owls

Tuesday 23 August 2016

Fancy cooking your own Chinese curry?



23rd August 2016
The difference between who you are and who you want to be is what you do.

So 'organised' is key this week as I've decided to cook in all my meetings, and different recipes that I've never cooked before, so it could be a great success or an hilarious disaster, either way, I need to be organised.  It's different when you're cooking at home because everything's in your kitchen, in a meeting, if you haven't put it in the bag - you can't use it!  Here's to remembering everything!

I spent most of yesterday going through cook books finding recipes that could be done preparation and cooking in under half hour on a hob, then mom came with me to shop for some ingredients, I'll go again tomorrow for fresh.  We walked Alfie a couple of times too, so kept busy and ended on an early night, in bed by half 8, lovely!

I have been doing No Count but think I'll be going back to Smart Points for the rest of the week so I can enjoy the recipes I'm cooking as not all of them are No Count.  I'm hoping all this cooking will get my mojo back and I'll want to spend more time in the kitchen.

Apparently if you put bread in the fridge it speeds up mould growth!  I've just heard that on the radio.  I don't put mine in the fridge, I have a bread bin but the piece was talking about how much food is wasted in British homes each year.  I like to think I don't throw away that much, I'm trying to buy less fruit and veg as that does go off quickly these days, carrots particularly lately. http://www.lovefoodhatewaste.com will give you lots of ideas to stop wasting stuff.

When I was looking for recipe ideas yesterday, my sister shared this one, http://www.gimmesomeoven.com/2-ingredient-slow-cooker-salsa-chicken-recipe/ if you like salsa and chicken, this looks really good and easy - we like easy.

And for those of you that are a fan of Mayflower (12sp for 85g powder) here's an alternative recipe to try, taken from http://biamaith.ie/basic-chicken-curry-chinese-style/ and I've pointed it.

Basic Curry (Chinese Style)

  • Prep Time : 15 minutes
  • Cook Time : 35 minutes
  • Yield : 4
  • 8 Smart Points per serving
  • Allergens : Contains Gluten

  • Chicken Breast Fillet - 4 (6sp)
  • Curry Powder - 4 tsp (3sp)
  • Star Anise - 1
  • Cumin - 2 tsp
  • Chicken Stock - 800ml or 1 stock cube dissolved in 800 ml boiling water
  • Flour - 3 tbsp (9sp)
  • Soy Sauce - 2 tsp
  • Fresh Chilli (Optional) - As much as you like
  • Onion - 1
  • Garlic cloves - 2
  • Oil - 3 tbsp (13sp)
Getting Ready...
You will need, 1 pot for the rice, 1 larger pot at least 1ltr for the sauce, 1 pan for the chicken, 1 sieve for the sauce and 1 colander for the rice, 1 chopping board (also a raw meat board if you have one), chopping knife. 
  1. Dissolve the stock cube in 800 ml of boiling water.
  2. Chop 1/2 the onion & garlic then fry in a preheated pot for about 2 minutes without colouring.
  3. Add the spices and flour, ensure you stir really well here esp if it starts to stick to the bottom of the pot.
  4. After about 30 seconds or so add the chicken stock and soy sauce, stir, bring to the boil then turn the heat right down and simmer for 15 minutes.
  5. Cut the chicken fillets into cubes, mix with a pinch of salt and pepper then fry on a preheated pan until it starts to brown.
  6. Strain the sauce through the sieve then add the chicken and rest of the onion.
  7. Simmer for a further 15 minutes then serve with rice or homemade chips, nom nom nom
If the sauce thickens too much add a little water to bring it back to the consistency you like.
On that note, I'm off, got a car to load and a day of meetings and cooking to get ready for :) Here's to a great day, wish me luck!



No comments: