Disclaimer!

Disclaimer
Beverley has prepared the content of Bev's World irresponsibly and carelessly. She therefore disclaims all warranties, express or implied, as to the accuracy, originality or completeness of the drivel presented on this blog or on other linked websites or on any subsequent links. She vehemently denies that the information may be relied upon for any reason. Beverley shall not be liable for inflicting laughter, shame, disgust, torrents of tears and the eventual desiccation or crashing boredom on readers.

Find me on facebook. https://www.facebook.com/BeHappyOwls or search for Be Happy Owls

Friday 25 March 2016

Let's make it a Good Friday



25th March 2016
Exist to be happy not to impress!
It's Good Friday then!  Shall we make it so, I'm up for making today a good day, I'm up for making every day a good day, sadly they don't all turn out that way do they!  But the more positive we are the better they're likely to be. 

I rushed like a crazy person last night and thanks to my awesome members and helpers I made a Weight Watcher meeting myself, mines closed today and my leader did a Thursday night meeting so I decided I needed that group support myself.  I knew with it being night instead of morning the scales might be slightly heavier but I didn't mind, and I was so chuffed, I'd lost 1.5lb, all that rushing round all day had obviously paid off!   I got my silver 7, and if I lose a pound next week, I'll be in the next stone bracket and that's my mission.  I will make it through Easter, I will resist the Hazelnut Chocolate Llindt Bunny that my lovely member bought me as a lovely Easter Gift, I've put it somewhere safe and out of reach.  I do have a Milky bar egg that's 18sp that I'm still not sure if I'll eat either, it might go in the same place for when I've lost a little more weight, at the moment that pound off is taking priority.

It appears my changing one thing at a time, not being perfect and doing what I can when I can is paying off.  I'm unlikely to ever be 100% on it, 7 days a week these days, if I'm honest I don't want to, I like eating and drinking too much, I'm not going to give myself a hard time for being that way.  I see people doing that all the time and it's making them so unhappy, they won't have a Good Friday or a Happy Easter because they're be that stressed out and wound up about surviving it, they'll forget to enjoy it. 

We've not had lamb in our house for a long time, I'm tempted to go get some because it's on offer and mom quite likes it, as does Alfie but I don't know if I will, we shall see.  I do need to go get some food, the fridge is almost bare, we need veggies, I haven't had bread in the house all week, but that's been a bonus if I'm honest, it's making me think about what I can eat instead. 

Actually I think before I go to the shop, I'll go have a mooch through the freezer and cupboard and make a list of meals I can make with what I have, then decide what I do need. 

Yesterday I enjoyed a piece of River Cobbler, my lovely helper Sheila bought me, I put a bit of tomato sauce on it and chorizo, then roasted.  We had it with Heinz Dhal Curry Lentils, they weren't bad for a quick meal and a change from baked beans.  I'm enjoying grains and pulses more and more.

Got a lot of paperwork to do this weekend so I better get started on it, I hope you've got more fun things planned!

Have you noticed that we fall for the marketing hype every year, not only do we want a hot cross bun but when we end up in the supermarket, they're on offer two packs for £1 so we end up with a dozen Hot Cross Buns, how about making your own, it could pass an hour with the kids, you've got them off school for a fortnight, make them, have one, get them to take the rest to granny's or the neighbours!   Here's the recipe, I'm tempted, I've never made hot cross buns.  Catch ya laters xx

Hot cross buns

Serves 12, 6sp per bun,

prep time 20mins, cook time 15min

 

375g Strong White Flour (bread flour) 37sp
25g Caster Sugar 6sp
7g Dried baking yeast (1 sachet)
12 teaspoons Salt
2 teaspoons Mixed Spice, ground
220ml Skimmed Milk, tepid 3sp
1 medium Egg, whole, raw, whisked lightly 2sp
60g Low Fat Spread, melted 8s[
6spray(s) Calorie controlled cooking spray
100g Currants, 16sp

For the crosses:
35g Plain White Flour 3sp
1g Baking powder
1teaspoons Honey, warm, to glaze 1sp

In a large bowl, sift the flour with the sugar, yeast, salt and mixed spice. Make a well in the centre then pour in the milk, egg and spread. With a wooden spoon, mix to form a dough.

Use your hands to bring the dough together, then knead the dough for at least 10 mins until smooth and elastic.

Put the dough in a clean bowl misted with cooking spray. Place a clean tea cloth over the dough and leave in a warm place to rise for at least 1 hr, or until doubled in size.

Preheat the oven to gas mark 6/200°C/fan 180‚C.

Knock back the dough by kneading for another 2 mins, adding the currants. Shape into 12 small, round buns, making a cross shape on each one using a knife. Mist a baking tray with cooking spray and place the buns on it in a rectangle close together. Cover with a tea cloth and leave for another 30 mins to prove.

Make the crosses by mixing the flour with the baking powder and 3 tbsp water to form a thick paste. Spoon the paste into a piping bag and carefully pipe a cross onto each bun. Place in the preheated oven and bake for 15 mins or until golden.

Carefully tap the bottom of the buns — if they are light and sound hollow then they are done. Once cooked, leave to cool slightly on a wire rack and then brush with the honey to glaze.

No comments: