30th November 2013
A man would prefer to come home to an unmade bed and a happy woman than to a neatly made bad and an angry woman. Marlene Dietrich
Well I have to say the beef stew that I made on Wednesday has been the only thing I’ve eaten for three days other than my breakfast! I think that says how delicious it was (recipe on Thursday’s blog), 60pp in total and it’s done more than 6 bowls, and today I will eat something else I promise! I’m thinking stuffed mushrooms maybe, making a cauliflower cheese too so mom has something to microwave tomorrow for her lunch as I’m out.
Yesterday felt like such a rushed day, I had my paperwork that took till noon because I couldn’t get it all to work out, then I nipped to the shops but didn’t stay as they were so busy I didn’t stay! Had my eye test at two and I’m happy to report I don’t need glasses still, at least one part of my body is in good working order ;-), then I had my massage to help ease my aching joints so the rest of my body feels better now. By the time I got home at 6ish I was ready to chill, some days just fly by like that don’t they!
I don’t have to be anywhere or do anything today, I’m too scared to go to the shops, they’re going to be crazy busy today aren’t they, I might wait till Monday to brave them again, it means I miss out on the wine offer in Morrison’s (buy 6 & save 33%) but I haven’t the energy for it and if it’s not in my house I won’t drink it will I. I’m going to cook and craft instead today and enjoy being home, might watch a movie too, or USA XFactor this afternoon – how rock and roll am I? I do like my quiet life though I have to admit.
I fancy something with rice and I’ve just found a recipe for Pilau rice in the new WW Freezer Friendly cookbook, if I make that with wholemeal rice it’ll be F&H, and the Dauphinoise potatoes in there look to die for too, there’s some good stuff in that book. I’ve also found a recipe in the new Hairy Biker book for ‘all in one spicy pork and rice’ which works out at 9pp, think I’ll make that Monday when I’ve been shopping, if you use brown rice, it’s almost F&H (except chorizo), I’d par cook the rice first though I think, or use the ready cooked stuff and add it near the end.
All-in-one spicy pork and rice
Serves: 4, 9pp per portion or 395 calories per portion.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
- 2 tsp olive oil (3pp)
- 1 medium onion, sliced into thin wedges
- 500g pork tenderloin, trimmed and cut into 1cm slices (15pp)
- 50g chorizo sausage, skinned and cut into 5mm slices (4pp)
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 red and 1 orange pepper, deseeded and sliced
- 100g green beans, trimmed and cut into short lengths
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- ½ tsp hot chilli powder
- 150g easy-cook long-grain rice (14pp)
- 750ml chicken stock, made with 1 stock cube
- ﬂaked sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the oil in a large, non-stick deep frying pan or sauté pan. Fry the onion wedges over a medium-high heat for 3 minutes until they’re softened and lightly browned, stirring regularly.
- Season the pork with salt and black pepper, then add it to the pan and stir-fry with the onion for 2 minutes until lightly browned. Add the chorizo, garlic, peppers and beans and stir-fry together for 2 minutes more. Sprinkle with the spices and stir in the rice, then pour over the stock and bring to the boil.
- Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes, stirring regularly, until the liquid has been absorbed and the rice and pork are both lovely and tender.
Right I’m off, need a cup of tea to get me started, enjoy your Saturday, I know I’m going to…