Disclaimer!

Disclaimer
Beverley has prepared the content of Bev's World irresponsibly and carelessly. She therefore disclaims all warranties, express or implied, as to the accuracy, originality or completeness of the drivel presented on this blog or on other linked websites or on any subsequent links. She vehemently denies that the information may be relied upon for any reason. Beverley shall not be liable for inflicting laughter, shame, disgust, torrents of tears and the eventual desiccation or crashing boredom on readers.

Find me on facebook. https://www.facebook.com/BeHappyOwls or search for Be Happy Owls

Tuesday 15 October 2013

Realising your body isn't a machine & it doesn't always cope!

15th October 2013
Life is like a camera…. Focus on what’s important, capture the good times, develop from the negatives, and if things don’t work out, take another shot.
 
Yesterday food wise was Sunday’s leftovers, I had roast dinner x 2, as what I bought to make our roast easily served four, that’s the downside of only feeding two people, everything sold is usually to feed more, mom didn’t fancy a dinner again so I ended up having one twice because I wasn’t wasting expensive healthy food, they never warm up as well as the first time you eat them though do they.
I had another appointment at the hospital yesterday and my blood pressure reading was 150/91!  That’s not good, so I had to go to my own doctor later to have it redone and it had gone down to 120/80 – phew, it turns out I was just suffering from white coat syndrome – basically I’m scared of hospitals/doctors etc and had got myself wound up!  What hearing that reading did make me do was of course google ‘high blood pressure’,
Factors that can raise your risk of developing primary high blood pressure include:
  • age: the risk of developing high blood pressure increases as you get older
  • a family history of high blood pressure (the condition seems to run in families)
  • being of African or Caribbean origin
  • a high amount of salt in your food
  • a lack of exercise
  • being overweight
  • smoking
  • drinking large amounts of alcohol
  • stress
    And other reasons…
mmm so ‘lack of exercise’, I’m quite active in my work but I could be more active in my spare time, I tend to get lazy when the colder weather arrives.  Salt mmm, likes salt I do.  Being overweight – yep according to those damn charts I still am and drinking large amounts of alcohol = guilty. 
How to lower bloody pressure;
are some changes you could make to your lifestyle to reduce high blood pressure. Some of these will lower your blood pressure in a matter of weeks, others may take longer.
Now I was lucky that my high blood pressure reading was temporary and only because of my fear, however before I had that proven by my own gp I did spend some time thinking about my habits, yes I spout healthy and happy to anyone who will listen but am I practising it as well as I could?  That of course depends on whose truth you believe, do I believe that women Women should not regularly drink more than 2-3 units a day – I don’t know but I guess they know what they’re talking about!  Do I believe we should eat less salt, probably, but I don’t eat a massive amount so that’s not a concern for me.  Should I exercise more – yes I think I should, but in a way I enjoy, so walking for sure.  Should I lose weight, most likely half stone yes, I’m working on it – honest! 
What I did realise is it’s okay to be blasé and cocky about your behaviours when your health is good, because we tend to think “oh I’ll be ok” we have this belief we’re indestructible (well I do anyways) but yesterday I realised that actually I’m not indestructible and I might not be ok so I will take on board all those things because my trip to the gp could’ve turned out that I did in fact have high blood pressure and had to go on medication, and that wouldn’t have been a good thing, I need to be healthy to take care of my mom, and of course to take care of myself (I don’t have the loving daughter to do for me what I’m doing for mom later in life). 
So from today I’m going to try to remember how I felt for a few hours yesterday afternoon thinking I may have high blood pressure and I will do my best to cut my consumption of alcohol which will actually automatically help me lose weight and I’ll start walking more despite the fact I may get wet!
What habits or behaviours do you have that you know could be affecting your health but you’re choosing to ignore?
Remember we’re not immortal and our bodies need taking care of.
Eat Gorgeous, BeYOUtiful and take care of that body xx

No comments: