Disclaimer!

Disclaimer
Beverley has prepared the content of Bev's World irresponsibly and carelessly. She therefore disclaims all warranties, express or implied, as to the accuracy, originality or completeness of the drivel presented on this blog or on other linked websites or on any subsequent links. She vehemently denies that the information may be relied upon for any reason. Beverley shall not be liable for inflicting laughter, shame, disgust, torrents of tears and the eventual desiccation or crashing boredom on readers.

Find me on facebook. https://www.facebook.com/BeHappyOwls or search for Be Happy Owls

Tuesday 29 October 2013

Got my Cooking Mojo Back!

29th October 2013

 

“We probably wouldn’t worry about what people think of us if we could know how seldom they do.” - Olin Miller

 
Back to work this morning, it seems like forever since I broke up for my surgery, and I can’t wait to go see all my lovely members.
 
I made the most of my last day off yesterday by spending some time in the kitchen, I put the ingredients for the Scouse recipe in the slow cooker (it tastes fab but it turned out as more of beef stew than Scouse), the I made a Jafrezi and spinach and tomato Dhal to diet for, if I do say so myself!  Oh see what I just did there, accidently but I’m leaving it, I meant “to die for!” But to be honest if that’s what ‘diet’ food taste like, it is a great reason to lose weight, it was delicious, the first time I’ve ever cooked a chicken curry at home and been pleased with the outcome, here’s the recipe I used and adapted to suit me.  I didn’t ProPoint yesterday as doing Filling and Healthy, but I’ve just worked out the ProPoints for you.
 

Murgh Jalfrezi Recipe (20pp total)

4 chicken breasts (4 x 165g = 16pp)
1 cup chicken stock
3 onions
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
5g ginger, finally chopped
2 tomatoes, peeled and chopped
1 green pepper, finely chopped
½tsp ground cumin
½tsp ground coriander
½tsp turmeric
Finely chopped chili (optional)
1 tbsp vegetable oil (4pp)
Black pepper
Salt to taste
 
1.    Cut the chicken into small pieces and set aside. Chop the onion into strips and brown in vegetable oil for about ten minutes, stirring to ensure they don’t burn or stick, add a bit of water if necessary.
2.    Add the chicken, garlic and chopped ginger and brown over a medium heat for about 3 minutes.
3.    Add the peeled and chopped tomatoes, finely chopped green pepper and a cup of chicken stock.
4.    Stir well and simmer over a medium heat for about 10 minutes.
5.    Add the spices and chili (if being used) and stir again.
6.    Check the salt and, on a high heat, cook until the liquids have reduced and thickened.
 
Dhal with Spinach and Tomatoes (22 pp Total)
½ tsp fenugreek seed, 1 tsp mustard seeds, 4 curry leaves
½ onion, finely chopped
½ tsp each fresh ginger and garlic pastes, a little chilli [chopped)
200g red lentils, (washed) (18pp)
½ tsp turmeric
salt, 150g tomatoes (chopped or tinned), 1 tbsp tomato puree
shredded spinach
1 tbsp vegetable oil (4pp)
1 tsp garam masala (optional – but made the recipe for me)

1.    Heat a little mustard/vegetable oil and add the seeds and curry leaves and cook until the seeds pop
2.    Add the onion and soften, then cook in the ginger and garlic
3.    Add the chilli, lentils, turmeric, 350ml water, cover, bring to the boil and then simmer uncovered until the lentils are almost cooked
4.    Add salt to taste with the tomatoes and puree and continue to cook
5.    Add garam masala and stir through
6.    Add shredded spinach and warm through to wilt
 
One of the tastiest meals I’ve made in the last few weeks, served it with brown rice.  For tea I used some leftover potatoes and mashed them, boiled some sprouts and sliced them, chopped some spring onions and fried it all up in a teaspoon of oil, with 1/2tsp of cumin, 1tsp mustard seeds and I added a bit of marmite towards the end and a handful of sliced ham which I chopped up.  Again delicious.
 
My breakfast had been a 3 egg omelette with leftover peas in and 2 crumpets with marmite on one and tomato puree on the other.
 
So that was my F&H day and I enjoyed it so much I’m going to do it again today, I have beef stew (scouse) ready cooked for my lunch and leftover curry for my tea, mmm nice.  I might even have the leftover bubble and squeak for my breakfast, that or mini shredded wheat, might give mom the squeak as she’s not a fan of beef.
 
Right I better get this show on the road, I’ve almost forgot what I do in a morning to get ready for work – oh yes, it starts with changing out of my PJs into real clothes!
 
Have a fabulous day, healthy and happy all the way, take care of you and Eat Gorgeous. Xx
 
Remember you’re worth it!

No comments: