Disclaimer!

Disclaimer
Beverley has prepared the content of Bev's World irresponsibly and carelessly. She therefore disclaims all warranties, express or implied, as to the accuracy, originality or completeness of the drivel presented on this blog or on other linked websites or on any subsequent links. She vehemently denies that the information may be relied upon for any reason. Beverley shall not be liable for inflicting laughter, shame, disgust, torrents of tears and the eventual desiccation or crashing boredom on readers.

Find me on facebook. https://www.facebook.com/BeHappyOwls or search for Be Happy Owls

Wednesday 16 October 2013

Eat Gorgeous, BeYOUtiful - it's all about balance

16th October 2013
Alone we can do so little; together we can do so much.  - -Helen Keller- -
I love it when a newspaper article tells me what I already know, yesterday in the media an article http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2461350/Slimming-classes-DO-help-lose-weight.html told me Weight Watchers works better than going it alone, yep we knew that, it’s all about the group support!  Anyway just in case you’re interested the links there.
So I finally got round to having a go at cooking one of the recipes from my cookery day last week, not exactly Indian but damn delicious all the same.  Now I’m all about the healthy and happy as you know but I also need to Eat Gorgeous so something’s I won’t compromise on, for example fried onions or mushrooms, oh delicious they are and yes you can cook them in water but they’re not fried then are they?  So this recipe calls for Ghee, which is a clarified butter with a high burning point and it makes these potatoes taste amazing, yes you could use alternatives but it would change the taste of the dish and then they’d just be like any other fried potatoes with spices, so as a tablespoon of ghee is only 4pp the same as oil or vegetable oil, then go treat yourself to a tub.
 
Spicy Potatoes
Total – 12pp
 
Ingredients:
1tbsp ghee (4pp)
350g new, [e.g. Charlotte] potatoes [boiled to tender] (8pp)  (when cooked remove skins if you want to, I’ve cooked with and without skins – both work well)
¾ tsp nigella seeds,
¾ tsp cumin seeds
½ tsp finely chopped garlic
½ tsp finely chopped ginger
pinch salt,
½ tsp each turmeric,
½ tsp chilli powder (I used less as I don’t like heat)

Optional Extras: freshly chopped coriander, lemon juice (these do make the dish complete)

METHOD:
·         Heat the ghee and crisp the potatoes and remove to a plate
·         Wipe the pan if needed and cool a little
·         Dry fry the seeds, gently, in the same pan
·         Add the garlic and ginger and cook gently, put the potatoes back in the pan and stirring through the ground spices and salt to warm at the end
·         Taste and adjust for salt and chilli heat
·         Add lemon juice/coriander as required
They will keep in the fridge for a few days, but taste much more amazing if eaten straight away.
 
When I cooked yesterday I actually poured some of the Ghee away, that didn’t happen before so I guess it depends on the potato, or you could do a larger portion of potatoes with the same tablespoon of ghee.
 
For my tea I had mushroom and spring onion omelette, made a large one with 6 eggs and can give mom the other half today, I served it with a sweet potato diced and courgette cooked in the Actifry with 1 tsp oil.  It was a good day yesterday, full of good, filling and healthy foods, I earned 5pp on my pedometer and used 34pp in total, all the foods I ate were actually F&H except for the ghee and spread on my bread.  Good food does taste amazing, it doesn’t have to be messed with and contorted, remember if you do it properly, it’s for life so find a way in which you can Eat Gorgeous and feel great whilst losing weight.  The more natural the food is to start with the better, enjoy what you eat, don’t eat it just because you’re hoping it’ll help you lose weight.
 
Have a great day and of course BeYOUtiful. xx
 
 

No comments: