Disclaimer!

Disclaimer
Beverley has prepared the content of Bev's World irresponsibly and carelessly. She therefore disclaims all warranties, express or implied, as to the accuracy, originality or completeness of the drivel presented on this blog or on other linked websites or on any subsequent links. She vehemently denies that the information may be relied upon for any reason. Beverley shall not be liable for inflicting laughter, shame, disgust, torrents of tears and the eventual desiccation or crashing boredom on readers.

Find me on facebook. https://www.facebook.com/BeHappyOwls or search for Be Happy Owls

Thursday 11 April 2013

I feel the NEED, the NEED to FEED!

11th April 2013
 
I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel. Maya Angelou
 
So yesterday for my breakfast I had a 3pp slice of toast, a dry fried egg 2pp and baked beans 2pp.  The beans were from one of those snack pots on offer in Asda, I’d planned to have the pot but as I was putting it out, I realised I didn’t need them all.  As always I posted a photo on my Facebook page and one of the comments I got was “I admire how u only have 1 toast Bev I NEED 2”, mmm, this made me think about the word “NEED” and about that sentence, ‘need’ or ‘want’ or just plain habit.  Could I have eaten two slices of toast with 2 eggs and all the beans – hell yeah of course I could, did I want to, not yesterday no!  Does Rachel really need 2 slices of toast for breakfast?  It depends on why she needs them I suppose, we eat for two reasons mainly to give us the energy we need to get us through the day and to satisfy us emotionally because food is pleasurable.  So I know a lot of people who would have two slices of bread for breakfast and be fine till lunchtime, or two weetabix, 30g porridge and a banana, the list goes on and all of those breakfasts are under 5pp.  My breakfast was 7pp so I’m obviously having more food which means more energy so from a ‘getting me through the morning’ point of view, my breakfast was more than enough.  Habit, it all boils down to habit, my 1 slices of multigrain taste the difference was the same weight and ProPoints as 2 slices of Weight Watcher bread, some people just like to see two slices on their plate – neither is right or wrong, it’s personal preference.  I eat again at 12ish most days so it’s only 4 hours to get through, I don’t need lots of food to keep me going.  So today in addition to ditching the guilt and enjoying everything you eat, ask yourself how much do you really NEED, if you listen honestly to the reply, it’s probably not as much as you think.
 
On my way to work I got a little carried away in the cheese department of Asda, Extra Special Spanish Manchego 5pp for a 40g serving – ouch!  It’ll be okay though if I use it sparingly, I ended up using parmesan in my recipe instead, not because of the ProPoints but because the flavour of the Manchego wasn’t strong enough.
 
When I got home at lunchtime I got creative in the kitchen and decided to cook a really super dooper lasagne, it all started off with some veal meatballs I’d bought reduced in Waitrose and some fresh lasagne sheets that where getting close to their sell by date.
 
Well I went a little crazy and used lots of cheese and posh Spanish sausages and by the time I’d got it in the oven I was sure it was going to eat away at the majority of my daily allowance, I’d also bought tear and share garlic bread from Asda to really go the whole hog.  So you can imagine I was amazed to find this meal worked out at 12pp for the plateful and it was delicious.  Below is the recipe, of course you can swap and change anything to suit your own tastebuds or to use what you have in your fridge.
 
 
Veal meatball & sausage lasagne
67pp total, I served 8 portions at 8pp each.
300g Veal meatballs (Waitrose) 17pp  (I’m guessing any meatballs will do these were reduced)
3 debbie & andrew’s Sicilian sausages 13pp (from Asda but again any good sausage would do I’m sure)
300g fresh lasagne sheets 13pp
250g ricotta 9pp
1 egg 2pp
100g mozzarella 7pp
20g parmesan 2pp
Mushrooms
Samphire (it’s a coastal vegetable from Asda) you could use spinach
2 tins tomatoes (I used posh Italian ones from sainsbury’s 1 red / 1 yellow)
Jar Ragu sauce tomato & sweet pepper 4pp (on offer in Asda £1)
 
Mix tomatoes & sauce together, put a layer on bottom of dish, with 4 sheets of pasta on top, then put meatballs and remove sausage from skins and make balls out of those too and space them out between the meatballs.  Pour a little more sauce on these.  Layer another 4 lasagne sheets, slice mushrooms on top and add packet of Samphire, put remaining sauce on and dot half of the mozzarella evenly over the top.   Put last 4 lasagne sheets on top.
 
Mix ricotta with egg, and pour over lasagne, dot remaining mozzarella on top and sprinkle with parmesan.
 
Cover in foil and bake for 20 minutes on gas mark 5, then remove foil and bake for a further 30 mins or until cooked.
 
I think I’ve remembered to include everything I did; I was making it up as I went along.
 
Right I’ve got a few things to do before I’m ready for work so have a fabulous day, it’s almost the weekend.
 
Eat Gorgeous, BeYouTiful and listen to your bodies true needs.
 

No comments: