Disclaimer!

Disclaimer
Beverley has prepared the content of Bev's World irresponsibly and carelessly. She therefore disclaims all warranties, express or implied, as to the accuracy, originality or completeness of the drivel presented on this blog or on other linked websites or on any subsequent links. She vehemently denies that the information may be relied upon for any reason. Beverley shall not be liable for inflicting laughter, shame, disgust, torrents of tears and the eventual desiccation or crashing boredom on readers.

Find me on facebook. https://www.facebook.com/BeHappyOwls or search for Be Happy Owls

Monday 12 November 2012

Going Green! But not how you expect...

12th November 2012
A life spent making mistakes is so much better than a life spent doing nothing!
 
I have a fridge full of Filling & Healthy foods ready to make sure I eat some delicious meals this week; I’ve also got a few bits of other niceness too such as cheese.
 
Mindfully eating is really helping me to recognise the foods I really enjoy eating and the ones I just eat because.  Yesterday we had a Sainsbury’s Bistro Taste the Difference Bombay chicken meal for lunch (10pp for half) and I have to say I wasn’t impressed at all.  It looked so good, and as it was part of the meal deal I couldn’t resist but the tastiest thing on the plate was the roasted red pepper the rest was quite bland.
 
That’s the first ready meal I’ve eaten in a while and now I know why!  Today I’m going to make an old recipe that I haven’t had for a long time and it’s delicious.
 
Leek and mustard bake Serves 4 total 25pp – 6pp each
 
700g baby leeks (wash & cut in half lengthways)
50g low fat margarine (5pp)
50g plain flour (5pp)
600ml skimmed milk (6pp)
100g low fat soft cheese with garlic & herbs (4pp)
1 tbsp wholegrain Dijon mustard (1pp)
50g low fat cheddar cheese (4pp)
salt & pepper
 
·         Preheat oven to Gas Mark 5 / 190oC.  Steam leeks for 5-10 minutes or until softened.
·         Meanwhile, melt margarine in a non stick saucepan and stir in the flour to make a ball.  Remove the pan from the heat, add the milk and whisk until the roux ball is completely broken up into the milk.
·         Return to a low heat and whisk until the sauce thickens. Add soft cheese and mustard, season to taste.
·         Place the steamed leeks in the base of an ovenproof dish.  Pour over the sauce and sprinkle with the cheese, then bake for 15 minutes until bubbling and golden.
 
 
The recipe also fits in with “Meat Free Monday, which I’m happy to do as the more I eat vegetables and actually taste them, the more I realise how delicious they can be.  Plus eating more vegetables is not only great for your health but also good for the planet too! UN’s top climate scientist Rajendra Pachauri states that “People should consider eating less meat as a way of combating global warming. UN figures suggest that meat production puts more greenhouse gases into the atmosphere than transport.”
 
So there you go, now you know why not join in and give it a go.  It doesn’t have to be a Monday of course but try to fit in a couple of none meat meals throughout your week. 
 
My challenge this week is to get as much of my daily intake to be Filling and Healthy foods as possible for exactly that reason, I want to be full because my portion sizes are getting a little larger and they need bringing back to realistic size and who wouldn’t want to be healthy.
 
So this week, let’s turn our trackers green!  Not sure what is on the Filling and Healthy list (ask for a booklet in your meeting) or Monthly Pass members can access a list on esource http://www.weightwatchers.co.uk/plan/int/planguide_05.aspx and of course if you have the app when you search for foods it highlights the Filling and Healthy in green.  There’s quite a big list to try!
 
On that note I’m going to look myself, enjoy your day. x

No comments: