Disclaimer!

Disclaimer
Beverley has prepared the content of Bev's World irresponsibly and carelessly. She therefore disclaims all warranties, express or implied, as to the accuracy, originality or completeness of the drivel presented on this blog or on other linked websites or on any subsequent links. She vehemently denies that the information may be relied upon for any reason. Beverley shall not be liable for inflicting laughter, shame, disgust, torrents of tears and the eventual desiccation or crashing boredom on readers.

Find me on facebook. https://www.facebook.com/BeHappyOwls or search for Be Happy Owls

Monday 23 April 2012

It's all about the habits

23rd April 2012

Motivation is what gets you started. Habit is what keeps you going.
I’m listening to an audio book about habits at the moment, interesting stuff actually, it says that our habits all have cues, routines and rewards and that a habit cannot be eradicated it can only be replaced.   It also said the old habit never disappears from your subconscious and can reappear at any time!  I’m not impressed with that last bit of their theory but it does explain why when I have changed a habit to help my weight loss and I think it’s ingrained and will never revert back it sometimes does.  We all notice old habits creeping back in from time to time don’t we and it can be very frustrating.  The books a long one so I’m only so far in but it’s interesting, I’ve just listened to the theory that if you wish to change a habit, you identify the cue, routine and the reward and change the routine so that something else gives you the reward.  It always says that to give us more of a chance of success, we have to have belief that the habit can be changed and that a support group is another core basis for success. 

I’m like that thought pattern because that shows Weight Watchers actually does help in the process of habit changing, getting the support you need really does help, the actual words from the book were, “To change a habit you need to find an alterative routine and your odds of success go up, even more so if you are a member of a group.”

Now I’m going to sound like a broken record here BUT… the habit I’ve decided to work on is drinking alcohol in the house, it is just a habit and I’m aware of that.  I have done it before but as the book says your old habits never completely disappear so at sometime something happened and I started doing it again.

I first need to work out my cues and rewards, I think the cue is as easy as sitting down on my chair in the living room!  Because the only time I do that is in the evening after work, I spend the day time in my office or out and about.  My rewards I’m still thinking about but I think it’s feeling chilled out or maybe even zoned out because alcohol does slow me down, I need to find a different routine to get the same reward. 

I’m thinking meditation, that would help zone me out, so tonight when I get home instead of sitting in front of a tv show I’m not remotely interested in, I’m going to have a go at meditating, I’ll let you know how that goes ;)

And yes I know I’ve said I’m going to cut my drinking in the house out before but you know what, if at first you don’t succeed and all that, I’m not a quitter and I shall keep giving up, until it works.  I know it will help with my weight loss for one and also it’s not good for the menopause symptoms so there’s too good reasons. 

Right it’s getting light outside, got a busy morning planned, walk Alfie, meeting at Bloxwich then a run round Chasewater with my mate, we’re gonna run round once, then walk round once, she wants me to run both times, but I don’t think I can, I’m not back up to full steam with my running yet – but I will be given time.  I managed 30 minutes yesterday (2.76miles) not the fastest but faster than I was moving when I used to be sat on the couch!

Monday is a great time for a fresh start if you need one. x


No comments: