Disclaimer!

Disclaimer
Beverley has prepared the content of Bev's World irresponsibly and carelessly. She therefore disclaims all warranties, express or implied, as to the accuracy, originality or completeness of the drivel presented on this blog or on other linked websites or on any subsequent links. She vehemently denies that the information may be relied upon for any reason. Beverley shall not be liable for inflicting laughter, shame, disgust, torrents of tears and the eventual desiccation or crashing boredom on readers.

Find me on facebook. https://www.facebook.com/BeHappyOwls or search for Be Happy Owls

Wednesday 22 February 2012

What did you have on your Pancakes?

22nd February 2012
The curious paradox is that when I accept myself just as I am, then I can change. Carl Rogers
Great weight losses already this week over 200lb, last week ended at 600lb (or 42 stone) and lots of members achieving their 5% targets yesterday which shows that regardless of the weather, half term or valentines day it is possible to lose weight.  The important thing is remembering that!
My food choices weren’t the best yesterday but I just fancied egg and chips and it was delicious and as long as it’s ProPointed now and again doesn’t hurt, I had a chicken wrap for tea so balanced it out a bit.  Today I plan to eat plenty of vegetables, not quite sure what I’m going to do with them yet, but I’ve got all morning to think about it and I just need to check what veggies I have, could do another chicken dinner with gravy.
I didn’t have pancakes last night despite it being Shrove Tuesday but I’m guessing a lot of you did and every year I’ll get at least one text asking me how many ProPoints in my pancake and every year I have to say I don’t know, because just as with everything else you cook, it depends on the quantity of ingredients and the amount you have.  Having said that there is a recipe on WW Esource for 2pp per pancake, but I’m guessing most of yours were 4pp before the topping was added!  I’m wandering how many had chocolate philidelphia as the topping ;-)
So why are Pancakes eaten on Shrove Tuesday?  I was curious so I googled it, because Lent is a time of abstinence, of giving things up. So Shrove Tuesday is the last chance to indulge yourself, and to use up the foods that aren't allowed in Lent. Pancakes are eaten on this day because they contain fat, butter and eggs which were forbidden during Lent.  And Lent as most of us no whether we’re religious or not was in the past was a long, strict religious fast when people gave up all rich food.  These days the rules vary depending on who you’re talking too but a lot of people seem to use it as a time to give us something for the duration of Lent and then the eat chocolate eggs at Easter! 
I’m not a big fan of ‘giving up’ anything because it usually makes me want it more, having said that I haven’t had an alcoholic drink since 12th February but I’ve told myself if I want one I can have one, luckily I’ve decided at the moment I don’t want one, and being on antibiotics will encourage me to stay alcohol free a little bit longer. 
Instead of giving up something for Lent, I’m taking up something, I’m going to make a conscious effort to take care of myself for the next month or so, I’ve already been doing that since the 12th and I have to admit to feeling much better both physically and emotionally.  It’s so true that when you take care of your body, your body takes care of you. 
I know I’ve had a throat infection but normally I would be in so much pain with it and feel absolutely dreadful, this time I don’t, my throats a little dry and it had the white infected spots on it but I don’t feel ‘ill’ which is a huge bonus.
I’ve just been reading on my facebook page what you all had on your pancakes and now I want pancakes!  Thanks Pam for mentioning the recipe in the WeightWatchers 'The Complete kitchen' 4pp (p.26), I think I might be making them for tea and have with banana and chocolate Philadelphia spread if I don’t manage to shake the thought by then.
I’ve still got 10 eggs to use up, must stop buying them by the dozen because I don’t eat them quick enough.  Maybe a scrambled egg & rocket wrap for breakfast, that’ll use a couple.
Well now I’ve got myself and you thinking about food, I’ll get going on some work ;-)
Midweek already – have a wonderful Wednesday. xx



No comments: