Disclaimer!

Disclaimer
Beverley has prepared the content of Bev's World irresponsibly and carelessly. She therefore disclaims all warranties, express or implied, as to the accuracy, originality or completeness of the drivel presented on this blog or on other linked websites or on any subsequent links. She vehemently denies that the information may be relied upon for any reason. Beverley shall not be liable for inflicting laughter, shame, disgust, torrents of tears and the eventual desiccation or crashing boredom on readers.

Find me on facebook. https://www.facebook.com/BeHappyOwls or search for Be Happy Owls

Friday 15 July 2011

Are you paying attention!

15th July 2011

 As I grow older, I pay less attention to what people say. I just watch what they do.

Speaking of attention, that’s what we all need to pay more of!  Sometimes I feel as though the universe is sending me a message, I’m not a religious person but I still believe in the power of the universe and now and again it appears to send me messages and that’s usually what I talk about in my meetings.   So today it’s all about mindfulness – yep paying attention to what your doing!  So how did the universe suggest this to me well, it did it subtly yesterday when I was working at my desk I suddenly noticed the time and realised I shouldn’t be sat at my desk I should be on the way to my meeting – it’s a good job I always leave early!  I’m assuming the universe wasn’t impressed that I didn’t get the hint immediately and think, “ooo I’ll write about that tomorrow”, because this morning as I was walking Alfie and admiring the beautiful sky, I decided to reply to a facebook post at the same time and ended up going over on my ankle – OUCH!  So then I took the hint and so here I am writing about ‘Mindfulness’ which some of you might think sounds a bit spiritual and it does actually come from Buddhism but for us it just means ‘Paying attention to what your doing’.   In other words stop multitasking, just because you can do two things at once, doesn’t mean you should.  So that’s today’s challenge to focus on every single thing you do and give it your full attention, even your kids, if they ask you a question, stop what your doing and answer them, I know that could lead to all sorts of problems as kids tend to follow one question with another, but just for today – indulge them.  

Mindfulness is useful in every situation, when I walk Alfie if I pay attention to the walk and what’s going on around me I find it a much more relaxing experience and come back reenergised and ready to face the day.  If I focus on my food when I’m eating it then I enjoy it so much more and realise when I’m full – having said that I’ve just realised I’ve been eating a punnet of cherries whilst typing this blog, that’s not being very mindful at all is it, so the rest of the cherries will get my undivided attention because they are delicious and deserve it.

This morning I’m off to see Harry Potter and that will definitely get my full attention, that’s why I usually go to the cinema alone then I don’t have to talk to the person next to me!

So let’s make today ‘Mindful Day’ or ‘Pay Attention Day’ if you prefer.

Being mindful is useful when it comes to tracking too, when you’re not paying attention, it’s easy to let little BLTs, “Bites, licks & tastes”, go by unnoticed.  Things that don’t exactly fit into your plan don’t register, because they seem too insignificant to make a difference, but those little small bites soon add up.

Tracking increases your awareness – of what you eat, when you eat, and the way you feel when you’re eating.  To do this successfully, you need to find a way of tracking that works for you and will work long term.  Being mindful and tracking what you’re eating, when, and how hungry or satisfied you were gives you the chance to start to take control of your eating habits and helps you to notice if you’re starting to stray from your plan.  The power of the pen is phenomenal. 

Think for a moment, if you’re not totally aware of how much you eat, or if you often snack and don’t notice, then it’s time to start tracking.  If there are certain foods that you cant resist if they’re around you, or if your one of those who eats just because its there, and nibbles their way through the day, then it’s time to start tracking.  If you find it difficult to recognise your hunger and satisfaction signals or if you just would like some weight loss, then it’s time to start tracking.  What I’m trying to say, I think is IT’S TIME TO START TRACKING, that’s if you’re not already of course, in which case, well done you, just make sure its 100% honest and accurate.

I have to weigh my food otherwise my tracker becomes completely inaccurate, we’re all very different, although a lot of us share the same habits, so start to identify yours and work on them slowly.

 My tracker so far today;

Breakfast = zero ProPoints
1 Banana
1 punnet of cherries
Mug of tea
Mug of hot water

What I’ve planned on having later so am adding to my tracker now

Popcorn = 22pp (that’s what your weekly allowance is for YAY, especially when I’m not drinking the vino)


Have a fabulous day. xx

No comments: