Disclaimer!

Disclaimer
Beverley has prepared the content of Bev's World irresponsibly and carelessly. She therefore disclaims all warranties, express or implied, as to the accuracy, originality or completeness of the drivel presented on this blog or on other linked websites or on any subsequent links. She vehemently denies that the information may be relied upon for any reason. Beverley shall not be liable for inflicting laughter, shame, disgust, torrents of tears and the eventual desiccation or crashing boredom on readers.

Find me on facebook. https://www.facebook.com/BeHappyOwls or search for Be Happy Owls

Wednesday 8 June 2011

The 12 step programme!

8th July 2011


Every thought you think is creating your future.

Midweek already, and I’m on track because I’ve got the support of my friends and the fact that I know I’ve got to be weighed by someone else next week. I planning the weekend, I’m out for a balti on Friday night, going to have the main with pilau rice and 1 poppadom, the place we go doesn’t do very large portions so that won’t cause too much damage, and I’ve earned 15pp already with my pedometer, so that’s the poppadom and pilau rice covered nearly, plus I’ve got most of my weekly propoints left and still have 3 days to earn more. There’s no wine in my house either as I didn’t buy any this week so of course that’s going to help.

Yesterday I made pork lasagne, recipes in the Seriously Satisfying book, it was delicious, the recipe in the book serves 4, but I had 500g pork mince so made enough for 6, easy to make too, took 20 minute to prepare then just left in the oven for 40 minute. I sometimes think I’m not going to have time to cook or that it’s too much effort but when I do set aside the time it’s not so bad, it doesn’t take very long, I actually enjoy it and the food tastes amazing.

I was watching Neighbours (I know I’m sad, but I love it!) last night and it was talking about the 12 step programme for gamblers anonymous which is the same as an 12 steps for addicts, and apparently the first step is “admitting you are powerless”, and I couldn’t agree with it, having looked at it this morning there’s a little more to it than that I suppose, but I still don’t like this idea of giving your power away, obviously I’m not an addict as such although I do at times feel out of control regarding my eating but personally I feel if I used the ‘I’m powerless’ line then I’d actually get worse, my personal strength comes from the fact that I believe I have the strength and power to do anything if I decide to set my mind to it. Having googled these 12 steps, number two is “Came to believe that a Power greater than ourselves could restore us to a normal way of thinking and living.” Again I personally (this system obviously works because of the huge success worldwide) believe that the greatest power I know comes from inside me, and I can restore myself any time I decide to take back my power. I think that all makes sense and if it doesn’t – it did in my head ;D

Staying on the spiritual path, I’ve just had an email about the Serenity Prayer which I do like but again, I don’t personally buy into the God bit, hopefully you know of the prayer and if you don’t here it is;

God, grant us serenity to accept the things we cannot change,
Courage to change the things we can,
And wisdom to know the difference.

Lot’s of you spend way too much time anxious about things you cannot change: the economy, the weather, traffic, or people who annoy you and as a result, you waste a lot of your energy and aren’t left with much to make the most of the opportunities you do have. Recognising the difference between what you can and cannot change can help you live more peaceful and productive lives. This week I’ve watched a friend get really angry about someone who winds them up and she can’t change that person’s behaviour but she can change her response to that person’s behaviour – she has the power within to control her responses, we are all much more powerful than we know. I also see members get really upset because they didn’t get that weight loss, it starts with anger and annoyance at the fact they’ve stuck to the plan and the results haven’t shown on the scales, usually the next step is disappointment and they still sulking in my meeting and pulling faces at those that have lost, then the next part I don’t see but I know it exists because I hear about it later and also because I’ve done it myself. Next they go home and get upset, some even cry, I don’t do that anymore as I don’t feel weight is worth tears, it’s already had too many of them from me over the years. Unfortunately the last part of this scenario is usually overeating, “I haven’t lost weight and I’ve tried really hard so I may as well eat!”, mmm logical – not at all but how our brains sometimes work, unlike the prayer above we’re not accepting the things we cannot change and we’re just lost the courage to change the things we can, and we’ve lost all wisdom to know the difference! When this happens instead of reacting in this way we should be thrilled with ourselves that we’ve had such a fabulously, healthy week and have taken the time to take care of our bodies and minds, we should also acknowledge that the results will come, if we’re following the plan and sticking to the rules, science says the results have to follow, but it’s important to realise our bodies are robots or machines and they don’t work to an exact timescales.

Don’t let the scales control your moods, in fact only get on those scales at my meeting and get rid of the ones in your bathroom because they control your mood most days! You know I’m right, instead of bathroom scales buy kitchen scales, they will have a much better effect on your diet. Xx

Have a fabulous day xx











No comments: